[Dune] DUNE + explicit finite volume scheme

Kirchner, Nadejda Nadejda.Kirchner at emi.fraunhofer.de
Fri Mar 20 13:55:51 CET 2009

Dear DUNE-developers,

this e-mail is about coupling of DUNE to *explicit* cell centered finite volume scheme and vice versa.

Our problem by development of a multi-purpose solver was related to the slow access (even with iterators) to the elements of numerical vector implemented by using of various C++ data structures (s. Table 2 of the file attached: it is not the final version of the text; I send it for our discussion only).

We installed DUNE (EMI, Freiburg) yesterday and -according to my tests - Dune::FieldVector is the only C++ data structure providing the faster access than FORTRAN. I guess / hope that by coupling to DUNE data structures we would be able to develop the *fast* solver.

1)     At the moment I do not need the grid itself. I have an unstructured grid saved in external file. I need the DUNE grid data structure (with its fast access to the grid entities) , which  I can  fill with my mesh and specify with my properties (s. Table 1 of the file attached) .  How to do it? My current implementation for the grid readout is shown in the file read_grid.pdf attached. How to do the same and fill the grid of - probably - ALUGrid type? Imagine, we have only a 3D macrogrid (no refinement) consisting of hexahedrons.

2)     In your example p.43 http://www.dune-project.org/doc/grid-howto/ you set only one property to each grid entity: concentration for cells , velocity for face, etc. but if it is a long list of - complex (cell.content: multifluid or embedded in the cell object) - properties ?

3)     I would like to compare the  efficiency of the DUNE grid container with boost::intrusive::unordered_set (s. Table 3).  Please recommend the simplest DUNE grid type, which I can fill with only one kind of entities: cells , i.e.  Cuboids with defined index, unit lengths and volume and perform analysis as in Table 3.

To avoid disappointments: this e-mail is not an application for a joint project, but it is an attempt to find a common language for a possible collaboration (if the DUNE tests will be positive).

Thank you very much in advance for your support and with best regards,

Nadeschda Kirchner

Dr. rer. nat. Nadejda Kirchner
Abteilung Numerische Simulation
Fraunhofer Ernst-Mach-Institut