[Dune] installation problems

Bård Skaflestad Bard.Skaflestad at sintef.no
Sun Jan 16 21:52:14 CET 2011

Hi Christian,

I guess I wasn't particularly clear in what I said earlier.  I'm sorry about the confusion.

Just in case you don't know, starting with version 1.5 Mercurial has a feature that resembles the svn:externals mechanism.  Specifically, a Mercurial repository may specify a list of external repositories (Mercurial or Subversion), possibly tagged with specific revisions, in such a way that a "hg clone" will download those sources as well (typically into sub-directories).  The mechanism is somewhat fragile but a nice convenience when it works.  The feature improved a lot in version 1.7 of Mercurial.

Just to be clear: We're *not* cloning (or modifying) the official Dune modules.  We're "just" providing a list of (core module) revisions that are known to work with "our" modules.  I do try to update the list on a fairly regular basis but there were a lot of changes to Dune during November and December and I've fallen behind on my testing.  I fully agree that using older modules is likely to trip up users who aren't fully adept with an advance repository topology and, as in this case, lead to confusion as to what causes problems.

Bård