[Dune] Fwd: Re: Communicating IdSet elements

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Sun Jul 24 19:32:57 CEST 2011

Am Sun, 24. Jul 2011, 17:09:51 +0200 schrieb Martin Nolte:
> [...]

I didn't read the standard recently, but as far as I can remember, you always
need to register new data types such as structs with mpi so it knows how to
deal with them.  AFAIK Boost.MPI solves the issue by using Boost.Serialization
(or whatever that library is called exactly), that is why I mentioned
serialization previously.  With Boost.Serialization the issue boils down to
making the IdType serializable, i.e. adding a sort of dump() and load()
functionality.  The down side is that this would add a dependency on Boost.
On the other hand we probably don't want to roll our own serialization system.

Boost.Serialization was first part of Boost 1.32.0 which was released November
19th, 2004.  I don't know whether any significant incompatible changes
happened in the meantime.

Are there any other candidates for serialization systems we could use?

Bye,
Jö.

--
This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which
is a little ironic since we may not have one.