[Dune] GridPtr: distribution of element and vertex parameters

Bernd Flemisch bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Sep 18 12:08:21 CEST 2012

Hey Christian,

the warning is what I remember from a conversation I had with Stefan
Lang on this topic several years ago. As I said, I don't recall whether
this was a real obstacle coming from UG or "just" the gory details.

You are right that for our purposes, it is most often sufficient to have
this first load balancing step, which my initial question referred to.
Nevertheless, the parallel capabilities of UGGrid have improved quite a
bit by enabling edge and face communication and our hope is to add other
missing pieces the future.

Kind regards
Bernd

On 09/18/2012 11:40 AM, Christian Engwer wrote:
> Hi Bernd,
>
>> What people always warn us
>> about is to have a real dynamic load balancing, i.e. to balance
>> after a grid adaptation has been performed. Although I don't know
>> what the underlying problem is / will be.
> I'm not sure, which warning you refer to?! The main point was, that
> Oliver doesn't do an parallel stuff and thus can't implement the
> parallel UG interface. In fact it was Andreas who said, that this
> static load balance is sufficient for the DuMuX community and due to
> lack of time it would stay the status quo (and for many applications
> this will do!). If you want to implement the dynamic load balance,
> I don't see any _real_ problems except time and the gory details of
> UG.
>
> Christian

Bernd Flemisch                               phone: +49 711 685 69162
IWS, Universität Stuttgart                   fax:   +49 711 685 60430
Pfaffenwaldring 61                  email: bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
D-70569 Stuttgart                  url: www.hydrosys.uni-stuttgart.de