[Dune] Dune on OS X 10.9 Mavericks?

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Nov 13 15:45:24 CET 2013

Am 13.11.2013 um 14:35 schrieb Christoph Grüninger:

> Hi Steffen,
> installing Dune, PDELab, and DuMuX worked well with gcc-mp-4.8 from
> macports. But I got a linker error
>  ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
> concerning tolower(int) in dune/common/parametertree.hh when I tried to
> compile a DuMuX program. The same problem occurs with dune-common's
> parametertreetest.
> I think it is related to incompatible C++ libraries.

That's unlikely, as tolower() is part of libc and is contained in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
(and thus has C linkage as well). That's a weird error, what is the command line generated
by the build system for the linking step?

>> Mavericks works fine for me, but which Toolchain do you use? I've never tried
>> to use the system clang with libc++, because that makes it impossible to use
>> GCC as well. Unfortunately, you need a slightly hacky wrapper script around
>> clang to convince it to use the stdlib from Macports GCC...
>
> Could you please give some details? I installed libgcc from macports,
> that's all I needed to get make for all modules done.

Well, I think you're fine as long as you compile *everything* using either GCC or clang.
The problems start when you want to do stuff like compile the core modules with GCC
(for better performance), but use clang to debug your program because it compiles faster.
If you try to do that in a straightforward fashion, you'll get linker errors all over the place because
of the two incompatible C++ standard libraries… (and that's what I avoid with my wrapper scripts
which force clang to use stdlibc++ from Macports instead of the system libc++).

Steffen