[Dune] boundaryId ?

Oliver Sander sander at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Oct 19 11:09:21 CEST 2013

Hi Benedikt,
the boundaryId method was an experimental grid extension, added to suit the
needs of the DGF reader, but it was never clearly stated what it does.
In particular, you will notice that it only works with ALUGrid (and possibly
with Alberta), but definitely not with the other grid managers.  To clearly
mark it as 'experimental' it is now hidden behind the DUNE_GRID_EXPERIMENTAL_GRID_EXTENSIONS
macro.  If you want to continue using boundaryId you'll have to set that flag.

On the other hand, boundarySegmentIndex implements an index in the Dune sense
(i.e., a consecutive, zero-starting set of integers) for the boundary segments
of the macro grid.  Following the Dune philosophy, if you want to attach data
to these segments (like, e.g., an integer giving the type of boundary conditions),
than that is external data and needs to be done outside of the grid interface.

Note that there are problems with boundarySegmentIndex when working on parallel
grids.  A discussion about this was scheduled at the last dev meeting, but
unfortunately we ran out of time before getting to this point.