[Dune] a question about quadrature rules

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Tue Feb 25 15:40:03 CET 2014

Dear Arya,

> I got to have a question about the quadrature rules implemented in Dune.
> There seems to be something strange in the Dune tutorial. First, according
> to the comments, if one aims to do integration with quadrature order p, the
> rule should be initialized as:
>
> const Dune::QuadratureRule <ctype ,dim >& rule = Dune::QuadratureRules
> <ctype ,dim >::rule(gt,p);
>
> However, later for calculation with order two the p value is set to 1.
> Would you explain a little about this?

Please be a bit more specific. Where in the tutorial is this
statement. We need to have a closer look...

> My main question is that if I want to consider only one point for the
> integration (first order quadrature rule), what should I set for the rule
> order? one or zero?

In general the order you specify is the order for which you compute
the exact integral (modulo fp errors). In particular this means that
integrating a first order function you set the rule to 1. The obtained
rule will be the same as for zero order, but this a detail you don't
have to think about.

Ciao

Christian