[Dune] Dune-Dumux grid loadBalance

Ali NOWAMOOZ ali.nowamooz.1 at ulaval.ca
Thu Jan 16 21:22:21 CET 2014

Dear Dune users,

I have a question about grid partitioning in parallel computation. Is there
any automatic load balancing?

In Dumux, I generally use DgfGridCreator as grid creator. Inside
DgfGridCreator.hh, we have static void loadBalance() and I suppose it should
distribute the grid on all processors of a parallel computation.

Now, please take a look on the attached images. As can be seen in the first
image, I am working on a portion of cylinder (I have only one element in
theta direction). On the second image, you can see the process rank (I used
8 processors in this simulation - I used AluGrid as grid generator). The
element are hexahedron with the same height (5m). Maybe I am wrong but I was
expecting a more uniform partitioning. In theory, the domain should be
divided into 8 partitions with the same height (z). Can this problem come
from the way that I managed my *.dgf file (that contains vertex and
elements)? I can send you my grid if you need it.

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Ali Nowamooz