[Dune] Comments on Dune Developer Meeting 2014.

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Thu Sep 25 18:51:44 CEST 2014

Am Thu, 25. Sep 2014, 17:43:23 +0200 schrieb Robert Kloefkorn:
> my statement was referring to the protocol on the topic "EntityPointer's
> future". The statement was:
>
> In order to have operator-> work, a helper object should be provided by
> the facade infrastructure.

Ah.  The way I remember this is that we need a way to transition from
Intersection::inside() (etc.) returning an EntityPointer to returning an
Entity.  Currently, people dereference the return value, and we want that to
work during the deprecation period, too.  The alternative option was to
introduce a deprecated operator->() on the Entity.  So that statement
basically records our idea how to achieve a smooth deprecation phase.

Although I do wonder: why was that an issue with operator->() but not with
operator*()?

> Sounds fishy to me. And fishy most likely is not what we want.
> Especially, since operator-> is not really needed.

Well, it does work currently, and there is code that does stuff like
"is.inside()->type()" currently.  In the future that will be
"is.inside().type()", but for the deprecation period, both ways have to work.

> If the documentation is the problem, we can make it clear that
> EntityIterators behave like forward_iterators except for the missing
> postfix and operator->. At least that makes it clear without the
> mickeymousing suggested in the protocol (see above).

Note that operator-> is not a problem with EntityIterators.  It is only a
problem with EntityPointers, because those are going away.

Regards,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster

Das Erststudium soll bis zum berufsqualifizierenden Abschluss
gebührenfrei bleiben, also bis zur Erlangung der Taxi-Lizenz.
-- Akrützel, Ausgabe vom 16.5.2002 (www.akruetzel.de)