[Dune] Alberta with Dune

Ganesh Diwan gcdiwan83 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:25:27 CET 2015

Dear list,

I have been trying to get a simple foo running to see if I can access the
installed modules and an external library.
My C++ program is:

// -*- tab-width: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 2 -*-
// vi: set et ts=4 sw=2 sts=2:
#include "config.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <dune/grid/albertagrid.hh>
//
int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    #if HAVE_DUNE_COMMON
        std::cout << "You have Dune-Common" << std::endl;
    #endif

    #if HAVE_DUNE_FEM
        std::cout << "You have Dune-Fem" << std::endl;
    #endif

    #if HAVE_DUNE_GEOMETRY
        std::cout << "You have Dune-Geometry" << std::endl;
    #endif

    #if HAVE_DUNE_GRID
        std::cout << "You have Dune-Grid" << std::endl;
    #endif

    #if HAVE_DUNE_ISTL
        std::cout << "You have Dune-Istl" << std::endl;
    #endif

    #if HAVE_DUNE_LOCALFUNCTIONS
        std::cout << "You have Dune-Localfunctions" << std::endl;
    #endif

    #if HAVE_ALBERTA
        std::cout << "You have Dune-Alberta" << std::endl;
    #endif
}

In the output however, I do not see a print for Alberta.

./dune_foo
You have Dune-Common
You have Dune-Fem
You have Dune-Geometry
You have Dune-Grid
You have Dune-Istl
You have Dune-Localfunctions

I followed the instructions given here
<https://www.dune-project.org/external_libraries/install_alberta.html> for
installing Alberta. I did not specify any path while doing ./configure in
Alberta folder and I think this will put the Alberta libraries in
/usr/local/lib by default. However, I did specify the path for Alberta
libraries while doing ./configure in dune-grid folder and believe the
Alberta libraries (libalberta_1d.a, libalberta_2d.a, libalberta_3d.a etc in
my /usr/local/lib directory) got linked with dune. I think this is true
because ./dunecontrol gives me (pasting only the Alberta relevant screen
here)

configure: searching for ALBERTA in /usr...
configure: searching for ALBERTA in /usr/local...
checking alberta/alberta.h usability... yes
checking alberta/alberta.h presence... yes
checking for alberta/alberta.h... yes
checking for struct el_info.wall_bound... yes
checking ALBERTA utilities library... alberta_utilities
checking ALBERTA world dimensions...  1 2 3

Found the following Dune-components:

dune-common.............: version 2.3.0
dune-fem................: version 1.4.0
dune-geometry...........: version 2.3.0
dune-grid-dev-howto.....: version 2.3.0
dune-grid...............: version 2.3.0
dune-istl...............: version 2.3.0
dune-localfunctions.....: version 2.3.0
ALBERTA.................: version 3.0
ALUGrid.................: no
AmiraMesh...............: no
BLAS....................: no
GMP.....................: no
Grape...................: no
METIS...................: no
METIS...................: no
MPI.....................: no
OpenGL..................: no
PETSc...................: no
ParMETIS................: no
SIONLIB.................: no
SuperLU-DIST............: no
SuperLU.................: no
UG......................: no
psurface................: no

I am assuming that Dune is able to identify the Alberta library. I cannot
understand why my program is not able to print the output related to
Alberta. I believe someone encountered a similar problem earlier here
<http://lists.dune-project.org/pipermail/dune/2012-July/011819.html> but
could not figure out how he solved it. Attached my config.log file if it
helps.

Thanks,
Ganesh