[Dune] Reading arbitrary polygonal meshes in Dune

Ganesh Diwan gcdiwan83 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 12:38:18 CET 2015

Dear list,

I am working on implementing virtual element computations inside Dune. This
will involve implementing the algorithm on arbitrary shaped elements. Is
there a way to read arbitrary polygonal (2d) or polyhedral (3d) meshes in
Dune? Currently implemented Grid managers (ALUGrid, SPGrid etc.) identify
either simplices or cube types.

Can the GridFactory class be used for this purpose? Grid-howto document
says when building a new gridtype Dune may have a problem for unidentified
element type. Say, I have an element with five edges (a pentagon). In this
case, is Dune likely to throw an exception for unidentified element type?

I wanted to get the Grid guru's thoughts before investing time in this.

Thank you!
Ganesh