[Dune] Documentation for EntitySeed

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jan 5 16:29:55 CET 2015

Hi,

Am 05.01.2015 um 16:11 schrieb Aleksejs Fomins:
> Dear Dune,
>
> I was looking for the documentation for the EntitySeed class and could
> not find any. Does it exist?
the documentation for EntitySeed (more precisely the facade)
is on our homepage:

 http://www.dune-project.org/doc/doxygen/dune-grid-html/class_dune_1_1_entity_seed.html

> In particular
> 1) what is the purpose of this construction?
> 2) where is it used? I do not see, for example, a generic method to
> construct an entity using an entity seed. There is a way to construct
> an EntityPointer using a seed, but I suppose that functionality is
> going away soon, so what replaces it?
>
> The description of the entity.seed() method says
>
> "Return the entity seed which contains sufficient information to
> generate the entity again and uses as little memory as possible."
>
> However, the entity class already stores as little memory as necessary
> to access obtain all the necessary information from the actual grid
> implementation. Does that mean that in this case EntitySeed will store
> the same data as the entity?
As far as I remember all of this was explained in the thread
'How to store entities?' on this list:

  http://lists.dune-project.org/pipermail/dune/2014-December/thread.html

Best,
Carsten