[dune-functions] [Dune-functions-commit] [Commit] dune-functions - e7abafb: Add protocol for Aachen meeting

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Wed Mar 26 16:30:12 CET 2014

Hi Carsten,

> this is a little surprising to me since we already discussed this
> and decided differently. Unfortunately removing the 'is consecutive'
> guarantee makes the whole multi index concept useless. Without this
> guarantee the multi index is just some unique id equally usefull
> than a hash.

we realized that the whole multi-index is even with the zero-starting
useless. The main reason for not writing consecutive is that Steffen
doesn't consider the GeometryTypeIndex to be consecutive. A) because
we can have GeometryTypes with 0 DOFs and B) because the
GeometryTypeIndex contains entries where no GeometryType is assigned
to.

> If you (in contrast to what we discussed) really need non-consecutive
> indices it would be nice if you could give a short explanation and
> come up with some replacement. Otherwise the only thing you can
> do based on the interface is looping over all dofs and put them into
> some (unordered)map<MultiIndex,SomeUsefullIndex>.

No Carsten. You can do all the things we are doing now, iff the exact
semantics are defined. Currently we store the GeometryTypeIndex, which
is non-consectutive, but this is not the issue. The issue is that
permutations of multi-index entries usually swap two digits, but in
the case of entities they swap the pair or GeometryTypeIndex and
EntityIndex with the other entry. This is not the thing you expect
when talking about multi-indices, but it is what you expect when
talking about about where to block your information. In this case it
doesn't mater if you use the GeoetryTypeIndex, or some compressed
version. You need to know about the exact semantics and if you know
this possible non-consecutive indices are not a real problem. An other
example is, at least in our current design, if you have a
multi-physics problem. Then the locak tree contains all spaces for all
sub-domains, but only the correct sub-tree is in a bound state. This
is necessary in order to keep the C++ types fixed. In this situation
you again have non-consecutive indices, because some of the entries in
your tree don't contain any DOFs.

I hope this explains a little bit what the issues in our opinion are.

Ciao
Christian