[Dune] [SPOOFED?] Re: DUNE unable to find ParMETIS installation on macOS

Lukas Riedel lriedel at iup.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 22 12:43:55 CEST 2019

Hi Christoph,

I solved the problem based on your hint, but moving only the header turned out to be insufficient.
Both libraries have to be installed into the same location, which is quite unintuitive and should be made clear in the build system documentation or wherever it is appropriate. Since ParMETIS has not been updated since 2013 I doubt this will ever be resolved on their end, and I think the DUNE build system should account for that.

I wrote up the full resolution in a comment to my original Issue <https://gitlab.dune-project.org/core/dune-istl/issues/77#note_57903>.

Thank you for your help!
Lukas

> On 21. Aug 2019, at 23:51, Christoph Grüninger <foss at grueninger.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Lukas,
> I did not check your log files, but I remember that ParMETIS has a bug.
> You have to copy the metis.h into the parmetis folder next to parmetis.h.
>
> This bug is known since 2012:
> https://lists.dune-project.org/pipermail/dune/2012-March/010640.html
>
> Bug report / forum thread with Mr. Karypis:
> http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/node/832
> As there is no new version of ParMETIS since 2013, it is still not fixed.
>
> Others found the same solution:
> https://lists.dune-project.org/pipermail/dune/2015-September/013916.html
>
> Hope that helps,
> Christoph
>
> --
> Nous vivons une époque où les pizzas arrivent plus vite que la police.
> [Claude Chabrol]

Institute of Environmental Physics
Im Neuenheimer Feld 229
D–69120 Heidelberg