[dune-fem] Linking problem for UMFPACK in dune-fem

Sacconi, Andrea a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Dec 10 17:25:16 CET 2012

Hi all,

I'm writing you about a problem I have been experiencing for a long time about UMFPACK and its usage in dune-fem.
Tobias Malkmus already told me that in the trunk version there is a new umfpack.m4, that is in charge of looking for the correct inclusion of libraries and so on.

The problem is the following: I have put the option "--with-umfpack=<correctPath>" in my config.opts file. When (somewhere in my code) I try to call the "method solveUMF" from dune-fem/dune/fem/operator/matrix/spmatrix.cc, I get this error:

/usr/local/lib/libblas.a(xerbla.o): In function `xerbla_':
xerbla.f:(.text+0x49): undefined reference to `_gfortran_st_write'
xerbla.f:(.text+0x54): undefined reference to `_gfortran_string_len_trim'
xerbla.f:(.text+0x66): undefined reference to `_gfortran_transfer_character_write'
xerbla.f:(.text+0x76): undefined reference to `_gfortran_transfer_integer_write'
xerbla.f:(.text+0x7e): undefined reference to `_gfortran_st_write_done'
xerbla.f:(.text+0x87): undefined reference to `_gfortran_stop_string'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I have already checked in some Unix forums, the source is the (missing) inclusion of -lgfortran. It's crucial to call -lgfortran after the name of the object/executable is written after g++, and -lblas has to be called BEFORE -lgfortran. If you invert the order, it's a mistake!

My local version of UMFPACK is correctly installed, since I managed to have some examples perfectly working. In addition, I created a new dune-module that does nothing but executing one of the toy demos after having printed "Hello world! Try to compile the following lines written for UMFPACK". I copied and pasted (from UMFPACK Demo folder) the order in which the various libraries are called, and it works!

Now, my question is: how can I fix this linking problem? It's pure linking, since the object file is created correctly. I'm quite sure it's got to do with -lgfortran and -lblas.
Last bit of information: I installed UMFPACK with the option to rely on CHOLMOD, CAMD, CCOLAMD, COLAMD, and METIS.

Many thanks!

Andrea

Andrea Sacconi
PhD student, Applied Mathematics
AMMP Section, Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London,
London SW7 2AZ, UK
a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk

I think I have identified the source of the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve it.

I'm quite sure that UMFPACK is installed correctly on my laptop, since I just compiled a toy example (attached) and it works perfectly. I compiled it by adding manually all the liberaries ".a" that are needed, exactly as it's done in the Demo folder of UMFPACK.
Precisely:

gcc  -I/usr/local/include -o umfpack-ex1 umfpack-ex1.c /usr/local/lib/libumfpack.a /usr/local/lib/libamd.a /usr/local/lib/libsuitesparseconfig.a /usr/local/lib/libcholmod.a /usr/local/lib/libcolamd.a /usr/local/lib/libmetis.a /usr/local/lib/libccolamd.a /usr/local/lib/libcamd.a -lblas -lgfortran /usr/local/lib/libcerbla.a  -lm -lrt

Unfortunately, if I copy this code and I create a new dune project, that does nothing apart from printing "Hello world! Try to compile the following lines written for UMFPACK", some errors arise, precisely:

/usr/local/lib/libblas.a(xerbla.o): In function `xerbla_':
xerbla.f:(.text+0x49): undefined reference to `_gfortran_st_write'
xerbla.f:(.text+0x54): undefined reference to `_gfortran_string_len_trim'
xerbla.f:(.text+0x66): undefined reference to `_gfortran_transfer_character_write'
xerbla.f:(.text+0x76): undefined reference to `_gfortran_transfer_integer_write'
xerbla.f:(.text+0x7e): undefined reference to `_gfortran_st_write_done'
xerbla.f:(.text+0x87): undefined reference to `_gfortran_stop_string'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I have already checked in some Unix forums, the source seems to be the (missing) inclusion of -lgfortran. Already tried to include it again, it doesn't work. The suggestion is to call -lgfortran after the name of the object/executable is written after g++. Does dune do this way?
I'm attaching the Makefile.am; all the libraries are placed in /usr/local/lib, I'm not linking to the local version, but I'm quite sure the outcome would be the same.

Since the same code (the toy example) compiles and runs perfectly, but it doesn't if put inside a dune code, it means that it's got to do with dune. Not necessarily dune-fem.
Do you have any idea?
I am frustrated! I have installed and purged SuiteSparse dozens of times, and the result is always the same. I have tried to reinstall tweaking the XERBLA flag according to the three different options, but nothing changed.

Thanks again for your help! If you can, maybe we could Skype on Monday, at your convenience.

a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk